Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Internship Possibility

Marketus called me about a possible internship and says "Hey, would you be interested in working for a radio station? I know you wanted to do ESL stuff but I have this. You'd be editing news reports and if you're good enough they may let you broadcast."
I thought, that sounds like fun! I even mentioned that my dad used to be a DJ on the radio (he did music though, not news) which he seemed to think worked in my favor.
Anyway, he sends me an email with the website address  and tells me my interview will be on Friday at 3pm. I check out the website which is entirely in Chinese and made me believe the radio station was specifically for foreigners in Beijing. However, after looking at it more thoroughly I noticed there was a section for learning English. Why would an English foreigner need to learn English?
Then my possible boss sent me an email that he also sent to Marketus, stating that because I would be at the station so little I would be difficult to place, however, they decided I would perform street interviews for the station. My possible boss is Chinese and his associate doesn't speak any English.
Now I'm freaking out! Street interviews?! Boy are they in for a surprise when they find out how poor my Chinese skills are! I sent an email to Marketus making sure he hasn't mistaken me with someone else again and knows this. Don't get me wrong- I like the idea. My skills would definitely improve having to really use my Chinese, however, I feel like I need to be at a higher level just to perform the task!
Just when I think I couldn't be more nervous....

By the way, I learned the word for "nervous" in Chinese is 紧张

No comments:

Post a Comment