Thursday, October 4, 2012

Banana Rupture and English Speech

First of all, I came back to my bananas ruptured. Like, literally, one opened up and leaked... banana juice (??) on my desk. Luckily nothing was seriously damaged and I cleaned it up and threw them out. The thing is I just bought those bananas two days ago!
Anyway, the story I wanted to really tell is about my lunch today. A while ago I was sitting at lunch by myself when this Chinese girl came over and asked if she could practice her English with me. I said sure and we talked for a bit and then she returned to her friends. I wasn't sure I'd see her again but I ran into her while leaving the cafeteria. We exchanged numbers and I found out her English name is Jasmine. So I again saw her on Wednesday and she invited me to sit with her so I did. She said she needed to ask me a favor. She was participating in an English speaking competition and she wanted me to look over her speech and make sure it was "proper." I said of course and we agreed to meet Thursday afternoon. I had forgotten I had my make up test so we switched it to today.
The topic was "a word that changes the world" and she picked laziness! Her explanation was that laziness is the reason we create things, like cotton mills, and washing machines, and cars, and so forth. It was actually pretty cute. There were a couple sentences that needed tweaking but overall it was really good. I thought it would be though because her English is pretty good already. We got on the topic of TV shows and I found out she watches Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, Vampire Diaries and some other ones. After I finished and said it looked good she said "Oh, I have something for you" and gave me a postcard as gratitude for helping her!

I totally wasn't expecting that! I could tell she was surprised I was so thankful because she was like, "oh, I bought it over there at the ice cream." I just found it such a sweet gesture. Anyway, we talked a bit longer and then we both returned to our dorms. She's part of this association that creates events for students and so she told me she'd let me know what was coming up.
She's so sweet. I'll give her one of my Chicago key chains before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment