Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Buying Clothes in China

So last night I went to the Chinese Wal-mart to buy some pants. I only have one pair that doesn't have a hole in them and since it isn't getting any warmer I thought it necessary. So I went in and found some jeans but they were mom jeans... meaning that the pants came up to my belly button instead of staying on my hips like most pants in the United States. That, or they weren't real jeans; they had like a stretch band which kind of reminded me of maternity wear.
Anyway, I ended up not finding any pants. The reason I went to Wal-mart to find clothes was because most places don't have fitting rooms except expensive places in malls and foreign stores like Wal-mart. A classmate of mine actually bought pants at a market without trying them on but they were American Eagle and she knew her size already.
This seriously makes me wonder- do Chinese always know their size for pants?? Because from what I've been hearing most buy in the markets or online- both ways you can't try the clothes on before purchasing. However, they can't possibly know their size for every store because when I started my search for pants in Shanghai I tried on pants in, like, six different stores and each fit me differently! And the markets don't have return policies I don't think. I mean, I don't get a receipt. So what do they do when something doesn't fit? Just give it to a friend? I mean seriously, I see many different body shapes here so how can you buy pants without trying them on? I should ask Xiao Hang, Marketus's assistant, what she does because she told me she buys almost all of her clothes online. Perhaps you can return things bought online?
I don't know, all I know is I need pants, and fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment