Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Doctor Visit

I think I found something about China that I really like much better than America.
When I went to the doctor's office last week it was the second time in less than a week and I was running late. I wasn't sure what to expect- maybe they would send me away? Maybe I would be there for an hour just waiting to see a doctor!
I arrived at 11:15 am, 15 minutes late for my appointment. I sat down and waited for a bit until the doctor came. When in the room, I told him the whole story, even the really stupid part about how I'd actually suffered for a week before going to the doctor because I didn't want to leave Shanghai early. He wanted to take blood to make sure whatever infection had been in me was gone as well as an x-ray to see my stomach. He filled out some paper work and then called over a nurse. He spoke to her in Chinese so I didn't understand what he said. I just followed her down the hall. It turned out to be the x-ray. It all went really quickly- the only weird thing was because it was my stomach and abdomen, I had to lower my pants. I didn't realize until after I thought about it for a bit that whenever I've had an x-ray I've never been in my normal clothes- always a patient dress. Luckily I was wearing my really long sweater so nothing was ever visible but it was kind of weird.
After the x-rays were finished and printed the nurse returned and took me to another room to have blood collected.
I thought she was just going to prick my finger but instead she collected a vial full of blood. After about five to ten minutes the doctor called me back after receiving the results and looked over my x-ray. He gave me some medicine and then I was off.
I looked at my phone. It was 12:15.
All of that done in just an hour.
First of all, I'm fairly certain that I've had to make another appointment to get x-rays done and usually somewhere else. Then they would send the x-rays to my doctor, the doctor would call me and I'd have to go back in and talk about them. And I've had to get blood drawn recently. I have to go to a completely different place and then about a week later my doctor will have the results. If I had been in America the same treatment would have taken a week at least (probably longer) while here it took an hour (and I was even late for my appointment!)
I know China can seem backward in a lot of ways but we really need to emulate them in the speed of their treatment and diagnosis!

No comments:

Post a Comment