Tuesday, September 11, 2012

First Day at Internship

I was so nervous even though I knew I would just be learning how to use a recorder.
When I arrived He Fei came down to let me in (I navigated the subways all on my own). I asked her how her weekend was and she said she had an accident! She fell down hard and was out Monday resting. I showed her my shoulder which is pretty much all better by the way-

and told her I tripped over a traffic barrier and then she goes "Me too!"
I think we're going to get along.
Anyway, so we go in and I actually meet another American on the elevator who doesn't work for China Now (which is the program I'm interning for). He was a big guy and his name was Johnny. The studio is actually visible the second you get off the elevator. I recognized the man as the person who was in there when I visited on Friday but there was a different woman in there. They had already started so I had to wait until they played a song to meet them. Hefei had been called into the workroom so another person introduced me to Alex (the guy who was broadcasting) and Man Ling (the woman broadcasting). They're the usual anchors. I was really lucky- He Fei told me I was just going to listen to the broadcast today and then Wednesday (tomorrow) I would learn how to use the recorder. So Alex handed me some headphones and I sat down to listen.
Alex is from the UK and definitely has the accent. If you watch Robin Hood, Disney's animated version, and watch the scenes where Robin Hood is pretending to be a stork then you'll hear his exact accent. He used to act but fell for radio. He even did television for a while but decided radio was his thing. Man Ling, I found out, used to be an English teacher- the first generation of teachers to teach English instead of Russian- and made a point to teach in English, not Chinese. She said she wrote an article against the "Silent English" teaching which basically means teaching children how to read but not speak. I had already decided I was going to write about the study of English in China and how few can speak it so it's amazing that I get to work with her (sort of.. she'll be broadcasting while I work).
Of the two I instantly fell for Man Ling. She has the soothing nature of a patient teacher to counteract Alex's brash, animated personality. There's another guy, the only other man working with the program, Josh, and both of them seem to be very experienced when it comes to broadcasting and so the developing staff they're working with seems to irritate them a bit. Jules and Mila are the other foreigners (外国人 or wai guo ren) in group and the rest are Chinese women. This is of course my first meeting with them so I'm sure my opinion of everyone and the program will change over time but I really think I'm going to enjoy working here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I've seen you wrote an article about your internship. My name is Yuri and we are the internship agency here called www.getin2china.com

    We would like you to include some backlinks from your post to our website. We can also pay some fee for that. Because our website is dedicated for internships.

    ReplyDelete