Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Work Day

Let me begin by saying I've noticed China has more escalators going up than down. Or actually no, that's not right- basically if there's an escalator going up or down there isn't a guarantee that there's an escalator going the opposite way. For some reason they like make one group of people walk stairs.... I can't even figure out the reasoning behind choosing up or down for a particular escalator. It's not like Union Station where the escalators change because there's a greater influx at a particular time going up rather than down. I don't get it.
I noticed this during my commute this afternoon to the radio station. Today I was shown how to use the recorder and the audio editing software they use because they want me to edit my own stuff. Afterward He Fei showed me to my desk and showed me how to look up all the old brain quizzes so I would know what's already been done as well as know the types of questions they like. He Fei, who I found out is sometimes a producer of the show, wants the questions to be related to China which I agreed with so it looks like in the future I'll be coming up with the brain quiz questions! I also noticed today that because everyone is listening and editing that it's a very quiet environment and there isn't a lot of interaction which is funny because when you think of talk show radio it's all about the interaction between the anchors and the listeners.
Anyway, I basically just read all the previous "brain drain" quizzes as well as emailed some people to ask if they would be interested in being interviewed. I already have an assignment and although she said there was no rush I'm thinking "what else am I going to do?" So I told her I would try to get them to her by Tuesday- that gives me over four days to ask a bunch of people a bunch of random questions. Actually this time it's only two random questions but with the brain quizzes there will be more.
Afterward there was the meeting and everyone agreed today's show went well and then Ning Jing asked me what I thought of the show. To be honest I really like the show except that it feels pieced together or without any flow. I didn't realize it at the time but I think that's because I'm comparing it to our morning radio shows where it's almost all conversation. The anchors will have some topics to discuss and have listeners call in but mostly the conversation can go wherever it wants for about half an hour and with this show they have a lot jammed in three hours. I think the show seems almost rushed trying to fit everything in there. I mentioned my concern reluctantly and even apologized afterward because, I mean, it's my second day. I talked to Jules afterward and she said it was fine ("She asked you!") and Josh said it was "good feedback" and that it "always helps to have a new set of ears." After that it was time to leave and I rode the subway with a Chinese girl who goes by Sabrina. Her English is really good and she actually went to the U.S. this summer to get married and travel for a month. We talked a little bit- mostly stating our observations about the other's homeland.
When I got back I needed cash so I went to the ATM and this Chinese girl was waiting in line and started talking to me. She's just gotten back from England after studying there for a year so she didn't think my four months was very long.
Now see, I knew this would happen. The only Chinese friends I'm going to make will speak English because that's all I can speak! Add to that everyone at my job speaks English and I'm never going to learn Chinese.
I passed this as I was walking back to the dorm and decided I should end with it. I've been hearing about this for a little while but it seems to be really picking up steam in China and getting a lot of attention. I feel sorry for the Japanese citizens here because they could be in trouble if they're found out depending on the person. Anyway, I don't see this one going away anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment